Thursday, June 30, 2005

I've Noticed A Disturbing Trend

I've got news for you, 'cause I've Noticed Something Disturbing about The Great Men of Malaysian Bloggers.

For Men of Great Stature, these guys sure cry a lot.

I mean, seriously. Sure, corruption is vexing and upsetting, and sure, stupid brutality is brutal and, well, stupid. But weeping? You'd think they'd all do a Kassim Selamat by now, by the amount of tears they shed.

Really, feeling sad and down about it, or engaging in an act of public ululation to jolt the Malaysian public consciousness to do something is… well, it's an acceptable trick. We all do it, especially if 1) The republicans won the damn election again 2) They've banned gay marriage yet again 3) another cult TV show gets axed by greedy network executives again or 4) some other tragedy of public conscience happens yet again.

But that's the thing, see. It's a gimmick. A trick. If you must think of blogging as an art (please do, being the bastard demi-nephew of journalism is odious), then think of the whole weeping for your country for your countrymen, for your peers, for your profession as a stylistic device.

Sometimes you get mad. Sometimes you point and laugh. Sometimes you respond with weary cynicism. And yes, sometimes you cry.

Weeping for your nation once in a while marks you as a serious, intense visionary with high ideals. Doing it dozens of times makes you a drama queen, and people will be hard-pressed to treat you seriously.

So please. In moderation. Vary your devices. We don't necessarily want to see the same old crap over and over again.

Blogger Shan said...

I couldn't agree more.Sometimes it get a little trying when the same stuff gets rehashed. Great post BTW.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Najah said...

I weep for the Great Men of blogging...

11:58 AM  
Blogger T-Boy said...

And lo, 'tis indeed true That Big Bloggers Always Cry. xD

12:15 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Low said...

i think what's important is to look beyond the style of blogging and actually appreciate the information available in the blogs.

3:24 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

And I thought I was alone in that thought.
Given a blog projects a voice, 'style' as in language you use to deliver your take is everything. As is credibility - diminishing with the frequency these words are uttered.
Akin to "if you don't leave that man/woman, I'll kill myself" or "I want a divorce". 'Shallow eyes' as the Cantonese would call it.

3:34 PM  
Blogger T-Boy said...

Kimberly: Hey, if I was so concerned about the information I'd go and look at news reports, won't I?

A blog is different because a blogger's personality is stamped upon each entry; I read blogs not only for the information I could get (which I can still get from Wikipedia and other news resources, with some exceptions), but because I like the blogger as well.

Obviously this isn't true all the time. At least I'm not like MENJ, who seems to hang around Rajan's blog because he hates Rajan's guts.

Honestly those two should get married.

percolator: I caught your first comment! Tee hee hee, naughty girl.

Yes, sure, it's something that bothers me. But to be frank, it's something that more often than not provokes amusement than outrage! It's really not a big deal.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Low said...

well, obviously what the blogs are delivering cannot be acquired from newspapers, hence my point earlier. i see where you're coming from and i do agree with percolator that credibility diminishes with frequency of the words used. still, like a textbook, delivery style may be monotonous/overused/etc but it doesnt undermine its content. people have to realise that as not to miss out any knowledge.

4:26 PM  
Blogger kennysia said...

What 'wedding of the year' ?

6:21 PM  
Blogger T-Boy said...

Kimberly: You know, if you had said that Jeff provides a unique service, yes, I would agree with you, because that would be true.

But information that newspapers and other resources cannot provide? No no no no. Information he got, usually backed up by publically available facts accessible to you and me.

It's just that we lazy see.

Kenny: WTF? Kenny Sia?

What the hell are you doing here? Get out! We don't serve your kind here.

Next thing you know I'll get minishorts commenting and then there goes the goddamn neighbourhood. What next, Jeff? RMS? ESR? Haiyoh, punah man, propertly level go down.

Jordan okay. He belanja me makan. He good man. You can be a good man too, just belanja me makan.

11:26 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

lol! Drama has its place, but not too many places please.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home